CSU Richard K. Leffingwell Scholarship
After graduating with a bachelor’s of science degree from CSU Northridge, and serving as an officer in the US Army, Richard Leffingwell joined the CSU’s Chancellor’s Office as a member of the trustees’ audit staff. He directed the CSU’s self-supporting financing activities, and later became the Director of Financing and Treasury. Richard worked with trustees, campuses, and the municipal financing community to establish viable systems for financing non-state projects at the 23 CSU campuses before retiring in 2004. This scholarship reflects his admiration for the university’s commitment to provide opportunities to foster the next generation of students who wish to be instrumental in serving the public.
Two (2) $3,000 scholarship will be awarded for the 2020-2021 academic year. Applicants must:
- Have a course of study within the fields of business, economics or other disciplines that will serve the applicant in achieving goals relating to nonprofit or public service.
- Have demonstrated an interest in and aspire to a career in nonprofit or public service.
- Demonstrate a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale and be in good academic standing.
- Demonstrate financial need as determined by the campus Financial Aid office.
- Be currently enrolled as a full-time equivalent upper division or graduate student at a California State University campus and must remain a full-time equivalent student during the scholarship period.
- Include in the personal statement 1) motivations and goals for a career in nonprofit or public service, 2) experience or involvement to date in nonprofit or public service activities, and 3) how they envisions their course of study and anticipated career facilitating their goals with nonprofit or public service communities.
- All students meeting the above requirements are encouraged to apply. A student who is a military veteran, meets the criteria, and is otherwise equal to others in qualifications, will receive favorable consideration.
In addition to completing the general scholarship application on this site, you must also download and complete the application for the CSU Richard K. Leffingwell Scholarship CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD APPLICATION (file size 280KB). Please read all the instructions to make sure you understand the requirements for this scholarship. All required documents must be scanned and uploaded as one file before the deadline. The uploaded file must be formatted as a PDF (not a JPEG, TIFF, or ZIP file of compressed documents) and the file size cannot be larger than 10 MB. Please retain all submitted paperwork for this scholarship. If nominated, the original documentation may be requested for the selection committee to review.
This scholarship opportunity has a financial aid prerequisite requirement. Applicants must have submitted the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or the California Dream Application, and have a calculated financial need analysis done by Fresno State prior to the scholarship deadline.
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS APRIL 10, 2020.
Please direct all questions to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
Phone: (559) 278-2182