CSU William and Janet Lahey Art Education and Visual Arts Scholarship
William Lahey served as Assistant Vice Chancellor, Faculty and Staff Affairs from October 1966 until he retired on June 1986. He came to the California State University from federal civil service to the position of Statewide Dean of Faculty. William and his wife Jan lived in Huntington Harbor. Jan was an avid volunteer with the Long Beach Art Museum and William would invite staff to join them for special receptions and exhibit openings. By supporting Summer Arts and scholarships for visual arts students, they are furthering both William’s commitment to education and Jan’s passion for the arts.
The William & Janet Lahey Art Education and Visual Arts Scholarship will have one scholarship of $10,000 available for the 2019-2020 academic year for students in a post-baccalaureate program leading to a high school single subject teaching credential in the arts. The annual scholarship will be sufficient to cover tuition & fees and provide an additional small stipend.
Scholarship recipients must meet each of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled at a California State University campus at least half-time;
- Possess a bachelor’s degree in art or in one of the visual art specializations;
- Be enrolled in one of the following programs:
– A post baccalaureate program leading to a high school single subject teaching credential in the arts;
– A Master of Fine Arts program in art or one of the visual arts specialization; or
– A Master of Arts program in art or one of the visual arts specializations.
- Be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on an 4.0 scale
- Priority consideration will be given to scholarship applications in the following order:
– First priority will be given to students enrolled in a program leading to a single subject teaching credential in the arts;
– Second priority will be given to students enrolled in a graduate program in art of one of the visual arts specializations;
– Third priority will be given to eligible students who have a record of volunteer activities in the arts.
In addition to completing the general scholarship application on this site, you must also download and complete the application for the CSU William & Janet Lahey Art Education and Visual Arts Scholarship CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD APPLICATION (file size 328KB). Please read all the instructions to make sure you understand the requirements for this scholarship. All required documents must be scanned and uploaded as one file before the deadline. The uploaded file must be formatted as a PDF (not a JPEG, TIFF, or ZIP file of compressed documents) and the file size cannot be larger than 10 MB. Please retain all submitted paperwork for this scholarship. If nominated, the original documentation may be requested for the selection committee to review.
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS APRIL 30, 2019.
Please direct all questions to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
Phone: (559) 278-2182